The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced on Friday the targeted killing of Muhammad Abd al-Aziz Abu Zubaida, identified as the most senior ISIS figure operating in Gaza and the head of the group’s so-called Palestine District.
In a statement posted on the IDF’s official X (formerly Twitter) account, the military said Abu Zubaida was killed in an airstrike in the Bureij area of central Gaza. The IDF described him as a key strategist responsible for overseeing ISIS activities across Gaza, the West Bank (referred to in the statement as Judea and Samaria), and the Sinai Peninsula. He was also allegedly involved in coordinating the transfer of combat equipment and funding into Gaza.
The development follows closely on the heels of another IDF announcement earlier this week confirming the death of Mahmoud al-Aswad, identified as the head of Hamas' General Security Apparatus in the West Gaza area. Al-Aswad was described as a significant intelligence operative within Hamas.
Israeli military operations continue in various parts of Gaza, including on the outskirts of Gaza City and in Khan Yunis. The IDF says its current focus is on neutralizing militant infrastructure, both above and below ground, in its broader campaign against Hamas and affiliated groups.
Meanwhile, the humanitarian toll in Gaza continues to rise. On Monday, Israeli airstrikes reportedly hit al-Nasser Hospital in southern Gaza, resulting in the deaths of at least 20 people, including five journalists. Among those killed were Hussam al-Masri (Reuters), Mariam Abu Dagga (Associated Press), Mohammed Salam (Al Jazeera), and Moaz Abu Taha (NBC). A Reuters photographer, Hatem Khaled, was seriously injured.
Footage aired by al-Ghad TV showed first responders and fellow journalists attempting to recover al-Masri’s body before coming under renewed fire. The scene depicted rescuers raising their hands in a futile attempt to shield themselves just moments before being hit.
According to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), at least 192 Palestinian journalists have been killed since October 7, 2023—surpassing the global total of journalist deaths over the previous three years combined.
Post a Comment