A Local Government Inspector of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), identified only as Mr. Anayo, in Idemili South Local Government Area of Anambra State, has come under intense criticism after describing the brutalisation of a female corps member as “training” for future domestic abuse.
He was also accused of attempting to cover up for operatives of the state-owned security outfit, Agunechemba, who allegedly brutalised and stripped the corps member naked.
The victim, Jennifer Elohor, a 28-year-old corps member from Delta State serving in Oba, Idemili South, was assaulted, stripped, and whisked away by Agunechemba operatives who raided the corps members’ lodge on allegations of internet fraud.
Elohor, a Zoology graduate of Delta State University, Abraka, narrated that after their release, she and her colleagues contacted their NYSC Local Government Inspector.
Instead of offering full support, he allegedly told them: “This is why I said you people should be walking in groups, in case of situations like this. What has happened has happened. Some of you ladies are going to get married to men who beat women. So, this is training for you.”
Elohor, whose ordeal was captured in a viral video filmed secretly by another corps member, said she was shocked at the LGI’s response and subsequent handling of the case.
When asked what other steps the LGI took to address the matter, she said he invited them to the Local Government office the next day and explained that the men had been arrested, urging them to remain calm.
She said, "I told him I wanted to see them behind bars so I would be sure my life was safe. He kept turning me around, and I never got to see any of them. I also stressed that I didn’t just want them arrested; I wanted the case taken to court so they would be punished for what they did. He told me to calm down, that he was handling the matter.
"He then made some calls and spoke only in Igbo, so I couldn’t understand what he was saying. After some minutes, he said we could go to Awka to see the men who had been arrested. I requested that we all go with the other corps members who had been arrested, but he said no. After much ado, we managed to go.
"When we got to their office, everything was said in Igbo. Nobody spoke English. So, I was cut off from the conversation. If they wanted to talk to me, they would switch to English, but once I replied, they would revert to Igbo," Elohor said.
When asked if she eventually saw those men behind bars, she said, "No, I never saw them in any cell. I was told they couldn’t take me there because kidnappers were being held. But after some time, they brought some men out and asked me to identify those who beat me. I could only identify a few. But I can tell you it was a staged arrest, because the very next day, I saw those same men in the area.When asked how the situation made her feel, she said, "I saw them walking on the street, and I looked at myself with all the injuries I had and breathed in heavily. It was so frustrating. I told my LGI about this new development, but he said he didn’t want to hear anything about it anymore. He told me he had already asked me to forget about it and that it was being handled. He even described the matter as “old issues.”
SaharaReporters previously reported that the Anambra State Government has confirmed the arrest and detention of members of its security outfit, Operation Udo Ga-Achi, also known as the Agunechemba Vigilante Group, following the brutal assault and public stripping of a female National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, Jennifer Elobor, in Oba, Idemili South Local Government Area.
SaharaReporters had earlier reported a disturbing video, posted on Facebook by The Haven360 Foundation on Monday night and widely circulated on Tuesday, showing more than five fully armed vigilantes storming the corps members’ lodge in Oba.
In the footage, the operatives accused Elobor and her colleagues of being internet fraudsters, despite the victims presenting valid NYSC identification cards and uniforms.
The video captured the vigilantes violently beating Elobor, tearing her clothes, and stripping her naked as she cried for help, while her colleagues and other eyewitnesses pleaded for the assault to stop.
The incident has sparked widespread outrage on social media, with many Nigerians condemning the brutality and demanding justice.
Speaking on Channels Television's ‘The Morning Brief’ on Tuesday, Special Adviser to Governor Chukwuma Soludo on Community Security, Ken Emeakayi, described the assault as “unfortunate and unacceptable,” confirming that those responsible had been arrested and were being investigated.
“The operatives were on the trail of some suspected cultists riding on motorcycles when they pursued them into a compound,” Emeakayi explained.
“In the process of searching the houses in line with their mandate, the unfortunate incident involving the corps member occurred. While they were acting within the law, their conduct in that instance was unacceptable.”
Emeakayi explained that the incident took place during Operation Udo Ga-Achi, a joint security operation involving the police, army, Department of State Services, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and the state’s vigilante outfit, Agunechemba, established under the Anambra State Homeland Security Law 2025.
He added that the government acted swiftly to address the assault.
“Immediately the incident happened, we arrested the operatives involved and placed them in detention,” he said.
“Our practice is to first carry out preliminary investigations, bring in the victims and complainants, and then determine whether the matter warrants internal disciplinary action or prosecution.”
He said that the victim, Elobor, was invited to his office alongside NYSC officials, where he personally listened to their account of the ordeal.
“Our conclusion is that while the operatives were on a legitimate assignment, the manner in which they acted was not acceptable. We have made that very clear, and disciplinary measures are being taken,” Emeakayi stated.
He further clarified the difference between Operation Udo Ga-Chi and Agbunechemba, noting that the former is a joint security operation while the latter is the state’s statutory security outfit created by law.
Emeakayi assured residents that Governor Soludo’s administration “will not condone any abuse of power by security agents, particularly against innocent citizens.”
Post a Comment